Human Rights Commission
EMAIL THE COMMISSION QUESTIONS: HRC@TWP.WOODBRIDGE.NJ.US
The Township of Woodbridge acknowledges the need to ordain a formal Commission charged with responsibility of aiding in the elimination of biased incidences in our Township due to race, color, creed, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation.
The Township is also aware of the recently enacted New Jersey State Law against discrimination, codified at N.J.S.A. 10:5-1 et seq., which specifically authorizes municipalities within the State to appoint local commissions on civil rights to aid and effectuate the purposes of that Act. Although the Township currently has in place a Human Relations Committee, it believes it to be in the best interest of the residents of the Township of Woodbridge that the Township officially creates via Ordinance a Human Rights Commission so that the work of the Commission will be perpetuated superseding the Committee, until repealed by Ordinance.
The purpose of the Commission shall be to make recommendations to the Mayor and Township Council for the formulation of policies in an attempt to foster, through community effort or otherwise, goodwill, cooperation and conciliation among the groups and elements of the inhabitants of the Township with the intent of eradicating bias incidents in our community due to race, color, creed, ethnicity, religious or sexual orientation. Additionally, the Commission is to also assist or make recommendations to the Mayor and Township Council for the development of policies and procedures in general and for programs of formal or informal education that will aid in eliminating all kinds of discrimination, mentioned above and shall have such further powers and duties as may be provided by the law against discrimination of the State of New Jersey (N.J.S.A. 10:5-1 et seq.).
- To inform and educate our residents about the vast array of community services provided by the Township
- To provide a forum for discussion regarding community issues and concerns
- To promote goodwill, cooperation, and trust among the diverse groups of residents in our community.
- To eradicate bias in our community due to race, color, creed, gender, ethnicity, physical, mental, or cognitive disability, religious affiliation, political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
3 Year Term (2020 - 2023)
Glenn Morgan - Chair
Patricia Osborne - Vice Chair
Gary White - Sargent at Arms
Meeting Dates: 2020
(Click the meeting date for Minutes)
- July 13
- August 31
- October 5 (Presenters: Municipal Clerk & Police Department Designees)
- October 26 (Presenters: Domestic Violence Response Team)
- November 30 (Presenters: Health Department/Addiction Services)
- December 21
All meetings of the Municipal Council will be held in Council Chambers of the Municipal Building, One Main St., Woodbridge, NJ 07095 at 7:00 p.m.
The Council Chambers will be set up for participation to be in compliance with social distancing guidelines set by the State of New Jersey in place on the given date.