The Office of Municipal Prosecutor

Not Guilty Plea

A plea agreement is a means in which a matter can be settled. When a not guilty plea is entered, the defendant will be referred to the Municipal Prosecutor. This meeting will give the Prosecutor and the defendant time to negotiate a settlement. If no settlement is reached, the matter will then move forward to trial. The negotiated agreement must be approved by the Judge.

Representing the State

In the event that a matter is going to trial, the Municipal Prosecutor will represent the State's side of the matter. You, an attorney that you hire, or an attorney that has been appointed to you will represent your side. The Municipal Court Judge will preside over the hearing and decide if the defendant is guilty or not guilty. There are no juries in Municipal Court matters.


If you have questions regarding discovery, the Municipal Prosecutor will be able to answer your questions and advise you of their fee schedule. The Municipal Prosecutor can be reached at 732-634-4500, ext. 7358 and ext. 2185.