Book Hours: Community Service Hours for Your Book Reviews!
Please note: The Book Hours program is not a source for immediate community service hours. We review submissions carefully, and you must be willing to wait at least a week for acceptance. If you need community service hours in the extreme short term, please consider a different solution.
Book Hours Review Rules
- Open to students in Woodbridge Township and nearby municipalities in grades 8 through 12.
- Books must be at least 100 pages long and age or reading level appropriate for the volunteer.
- You may submit a maximum of 2 reviews per month.
- Reviews are accepted at the discretion of library staff, and we may not accept a review that does not demonstrate familiarity with the book's content.
- Reviews must be between 250 and 500 words.
- Volunteers submitting reviews that violate ethical academic standards (e.g. plagiarism, use of AI) may be permanently disqualified from participating in the Book Hours program.
- Please note that submissions will be reviewed thoroughly for AI generation and may be rejected based on those results.
- Books must be in English-- whether originally written or translated.
Receiving Community Service Credit
- You receive 1 community service hour per 100 pages (i.e. 3 hours for a 350-page book), up to 5 hours per review.
- Please allow 7 days for processing; we will sign volunteer forms or provide confirmation letters by request only.
- Once your Book Hours Review has been submitted, please contact Teen Services before bringing your community service form for a signature. Forms dropped off without prior arrangement will not be available for at least 24 hours, and possibly longer, pending availability of Teen Services staff.
- For confirmation requests or additional information, please email Teen Services or call 732-634-4450.